Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pinned It and Did It {Again}!

We have a room in our house that has served many purposes.  It has been a guest room.  It has been an office.  It has been a craft room.  More than anything, though, it has been a storage warehouse for all of the stuff that has no other home.  This, of course, means that it is always, always, always a giant mess.  I've cleaned it and organized it many times over the 8 years we have lived here, but it always degenerates back to chaos, but...


{wait for it}


...this time is different. 


"Why?" you ask.  "How?" you snicker.


Because I have found the secret of the universe and I'm here to share it with all of you:
Pinned Image
Source:  Pinterest via Heather Black
It was late one night.  I should have been in bed, but I just wasn't ready to say good-night to my old friend "Pin."  I sat on the couch, repeatedly scrolling down, enjoying the pictures of tiny Yorkie dogs and deviled eggs designed to look like baby chicks and suddenly, I saw it and I was overcome by a sudden feeling of clarity and happiness!  I knew right then that:

Hangy Shoe Organizer Thingies
are the key to organizational success / ruling the universe! 

Who knew???  I found mine at Walmart for $5.97 each and I have purchased four of them so far this week.  That's right.  Our store is now out of them and knowing our Walmart as I do, they will never {ever} restock.  That spot on the shelf--it will still be there months from now, but they.will.never.ever.restock.  Can you tell that our Walmart makes me sad?


Ready for the tour of my newly {re}organized {again} Guest room (without a bed)/Craft room/Office?  Here goes...
Bad picture, I know, but the joy is in the fact that I can see everything I have without having to hunt and hunt and hunt, then go to Walmart to buy whatever it is I can't find only to find that the spot on the shelf where my item should be is {you guessed it} empty!

A real-life conversation at our house this past weekend:

Jason:  Where the {bleep} is the {bleeping} scotch tape?
Me:  It's hanging on the guest room closet.
Jason:  O...kay.
Me:  Did you find it?
Jason:  Yes.

Ahhh.  Did you feel that?  The winds of change are blowing my friends.  My husband found something without my assistance.  This is nothing short of life-changing!

Admittedly, there are some things that can't hang in shoe organizers and I'm at risk of running out of closet/door space so here are some other ways I'm trying to tame my clutter...

Fabric is now stored (by color) in a dresser.

Sewing and embroidery supplies are stashed away in this little cart.

My little paint collection is organized by color.

My paint "chips" are sorted by color, too. 

I have a small shelf full of miscellaneous craft stuff and magazine storage and though I need to find a way to pretty it up, it has potential.

And finally, this chest has two drawers devoted to scrapbook paper, one drawer for buttons, and one for zippers and lace.  Yes, zippers and lace.  I seriously need to stay away from craft stores for the next couple of years. 

So.  There you have it.  Pinterest has improved my life (again) and I'm in control of my guest room/craft room/office (again) so all is well in my world (again).  At least for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment